X
Menu
X

Science

Shuttleworth_9.1.15-4541

Science

‘The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvellous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day.’ – Albert Einstein

Introduction

“Hello, my name is Ethan Jordan and I am a student ambassador for science. I really enjoy studying the separate sciences of biology, chemistry and physics as they enable me to gain a deeper understanding of the world around me and how it works. I have been at Shuttleworth College for four years and each year I have gained new skills as a result of carrying out practical experiments. In the future I hope to study biochemistry at Manchester University.”

KS3 Science

What will I study?

During Key Stage 3 you will develop your scientific knowledge of biology, chemistry and physics. You will develop an understanding of nature, processes and methods of science through different types of scientific enquiries that will help you to answer questions about the world around you. This will equip you with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science today and for the future. You will be encouraged to relate scientific explanations to phenomena in everyday life, using models and abstract ideas to develop and evaluate explanations.

How will I be assessed?

There are eleven assessments in Year 7 and ten in Year 8 that are approximately every three weeks.  These assessments will test you on what you have been learning in class and will help you understand what you need to do to improve.  Alongside these assessments you will also have a formal assessment at the end of each half term. Your ability to work scientifically will be included in these assessments.

How can I stretch my learning?

It is important to have an inquisitive outlook to be successful in science – questioning why and how things work and developing the answers to these questions through research. This can be supported by independent learning at home, taking a keen interest in new technologies and developments, attending science clubs and engaging with STEM activities.  You should regularly challenge yourself and reflect upon your own learning. Remember: science is everywhere, not just in your science classroom!

 

Useful links

 

GCSE AQA Combined Science – Trilogy

What will I study?

Scientific understanding is changing our lives and is vital to the world’s future prosperity. While studying Science you will be taught essential aspects of the knowledge, methods, processes and uses of the subject. You will be helped to appreciate the achievements of science in showing how the complex and diverse phenomena of the natural world can be described in terms of a small number of key ideas relating to the sciences which are inter-linked, and which are of universal application.

How will I be assessed?

GCSE Combined Science – Trilogy is assessed using 100% terminal examination. There will be 6 x 1hour 15 min examinations. Each exam will assess a different aspect of the course.  There are twenty one required practicals that will be completed during lessons. The skills obtained and developed while completing these practicals will be examined in the terminal assessment. Throughout the Combined Science – Trilogy course there will be regular end of unit assessments and mock examinations designed to develop your exam technique and test your subject knowledge. Guidance will be offered following these assessments to support your progression.

How can I stretch my learning?

Independent learning is a fundamental aspect of GCSE Science. It is important that you support your learning in class with activities and research outside of school. You will be given regular opportunities to attend intervention and enrichment sessions offered by the science department. Away from the classroom you could access scientific websites, read scientific journals and watch documentaries about the latest developments in science.

 

Useful links

GCSE AQA Separate Science

What will I study?

Scientific understanding is changing our lives and is vital to the world’s future prosperity. While studying Science you will be taught essential aspects of the knowledge, methods, processes and uses of the subject. You will be helped to appreciate the achievements of science in showing how the complex and diverse phenomena of the natural world can be described in terms of a small number of key ideas relating to the sciences which are inter-linked, and which are of universal application. In Separate Science you will achieve three individual GCSEs in biology, chemistry and physics.

How will I be assessed?

GCSE Separate Science is assessed using 100% terminal examination. Each subject will have two examinations each lasting 1 hour 45 mins, assessing understanding of specific aspects of biology, chemistry and physics. There are twenty eight required practicals that will be completed during lessons. The skills obtained and developed while completing these practicals will be examined in the terminal assessment.

Throughout the separate science GCSE course there will be regular end of unit assessments and mock examinations designed to develop your exam technique and test your subject knowledge. Guidance will be offered following these assessments to support your progression.

How can I stretch my learning?

Independent learning is a fundamental aspect of GCSE Science. It is important that you support your learning in class with activities and research outside of school. You will be given regular opportunities to attend intervention and enrichment sessions offered by the science department. Away from the classroom you could access scientific websites, read scientific journals and watch documentaries about the latest developments in science.

 

Useful links

 GCSE OCR 21st Century Science

What will I study?

While studying GCSE 21st Century Science you will use different contexts to relate scientific concepts to their applications. You will focus on scientific explanations and models, and develop an insight into how scientists help develop understanding of ourselves and the world we live in. GCSE 21st Century Science provides distinctive and relevant experience for you to progress to Level 3 qualifications.

How will I be assessed?

You will achieve two GCSE grades for 21st Century Science:

GCSE Science A

This course will be assessed using 25% controlled assessment in the form of a case study and data analysis. The remaining 75% will be terminal assessment broken up between 3 x 1hour examinations covering different aspects of the course.

GCSE Additional Science

This course will be assessed using 25% controlled assessment in the form of a practical investigation. The remaining 75% will be terminal assessment broken up between 3 x 1 hour examinations covering different aspects of the course.

Throughout the 21st Century Science GCSE course there will be regular end of unit assessments and mock examinations designed to develop your exam technique and test your subject knowledge. Guidance will be offered following these assessments to support your progression.

How can I stretch my learning?

Independent learning is a fundamental aspect of GCSE Science. It is important that you support your learning in class with activities and research outside of school. You will be given regular opportunities to attend intervention and enrichment sessions offered by the science department. Away from the classroom you could access scientific websites, read scientific journals and watch documentaries about the latest developments in science.

 

Useful links

 GCSE OCR Separate Science

What will I study?

GCSE Separate Science provides the opportunity to:

  • develop interest in, and enthusiasm for, biology, Chemistry and physics
  • develop a critical approach to scientific evidence and methods
  • acquire and apply skills, knowledge and understanding of how science works and its essential role in society
  • acquire scientific skills, knowledge and understanding necessary for progression to further learning.

How will I be assessed?

You will achieve three GCSE grades for 21st Century Separate Science. Each science will be assessed using 25% controlled assessment in the form of a practical investigation. The remaining 75% will be terminal assessment broken up between 3 x 1 hour examinations covering different aspects of the course. Throughout the 21st Century Separate Science GCSE there will be regular end of unit assessments and mock examinations designed to develop your exam technique and test your subject knowledge. Guidance will be offered following these assessments to support your progression.

How can I stretch my learning?

Independent learning is a fundamental aspect of GCSE Science. It is important that you support your learning in class with activities and research outside of school. You will be given regular opportunities to attend intervention and enrichment sessions offered by the science department. Away from the classroom you could access scientific websites, read scientific journals and watch documentaries about the latest developments in science.

 

Useful links

 BTEC Health and Social Care

What will I study?

This course is designed for people who are interested in social work, healthcare and childcare. It provides a practical, real-world approach and develops the specific knowledge and skills students need to work successfully in the care industry. You will study:

  • Human lifespan development
  • Health and social care values
  • The impact of nutrition on health and wellbeing
  • Equality and diversity in health and social care

How will I be assessed?

You must complete two core units: Human Lifespan Development, which will be assessed through external examination, and Health and Social Care Values, which is assessed through two pieces of coursework. Both units have equal weighting, and you must achieve a minimum of a pass across each core unit. You will then complete an additional two optional units, which will be assessed through coursework. Each unit contributes 25% towards your final grade.

How can I stretch my learning?

You must be prepared for and motivated to work consistently and independently to achieve the requirements of the qualification. This is your opportunity to develop responsibility for your own work and build your vocational and employability skills. You need to be able to interpret information related to health and social care case studies in order to select and apply knowledge. As with all vocational courses, you are advised to research careers in Health and Social Care and speak to current employees and employers about the challenges and demands of the field. Work placements or experience outside of school can be useful in broadening your understanding and helping you to explore real life contexts. You could also begin to collate and assess case studies which relate to your learning to support you in achieving higher grades.

 

Useful links

Key contact name, role & email

Mr Omar Al-Khatab

Acting Curriculum Leader – Science

oal-khatab@shuttleworth.lancs.sch.uk

01282 682300

 

Tweets